Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The Cane

I am sure I am not the first 35 yr. old to buy a cane for walking. I probably should get a walker.... I am so unsteady, but I couldn't quiet.... do it........ the cane was hard enough. As it was I couldn't even find myself one of those cool dragon/loin head canes. Na, what I found was a "hospital quality alumin cane" durable too... yippie! Well at least it was a dark blackish color instead of the feared silver. I decided I needed one for a few reason.... first because I am unsteady, and it is pretty bad.... I have come very very close to hurting myself badly with a fall, second to slow me down.... I go fast as I am a city walker.... and it hurts really bad, if I can just slow down I am much better, third is so that others are clued into the disabled thing.... it isn't obvious, I look young and even have an air of energtic happiness...... but it lies.... and I can't carry that bag or pick up what I have dropped or walk quickly to follow you. I will say this....... if it isn't perment I will NEVER EVER take any of this moving thing for grant..... it furthers my desire to work for the stem cell research center that open up in this area in a few years. I am stunned with awe when I think about those that have even less movement then I avilable to them. And it has also furthered my thinking about our drug laws........ I still don't understand how herion is given to me so freely, and yet THC far less addictive is not even considered. I cannot believe for a moment that this is right or good. I don't know that THC would help my pain...... but I do know how addicted I am to my meds and how much it will hurt to dose down. I know how much I fear having my pills with me on the airplane when I visit my family for Xmas (hehehehe should I say the holidays instead.... would any of you caught that??) , I mean what if some dog goes nuts on me? Yet I have the 'script so I am sure I would eventually be ok. But if they put me in jail while they figure it out... do you know how sick I will be?

ok I know I rambled a bit there.... but the bottom line... both my hubby and I were sad to be buying the cane..... It was saying something. I am not sure what, but it was a sad something.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gawdessness said...

I can see why it was a sad something.
Even when it makes good sense to do it. I think a dragon head one would be cool too.

You makes some very good points about thc and heroin and stem cell research.

I wish I could do more.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Silent Rain Drops said...

Achro, a medicine derived from cannabis extracts called Sativex is in clinical trials right now. They are finding its analgesic and anti-inflammatory benefits, as well as its anti-seizure effects, beneficial for those with PTSD and chronic pain. Perhaps they will soon overcome the stupidity that keeps them from treating it as the medicinal plant that it is.

I'll bet you look make a cane look classy, too.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that the dragon head cane would rock.

And it does make sense that it would be a sad something.

I wish I could be around more to cheer you on and support you. Know I always lov you and am thinking of you.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Lionmom said...

If you ever decide to go with a walker, my grandma has one that converts to a chair. And there is a space for bags. I know it sounds like a bummer to have a walker, but my family has always joked that we wouldn't mind having this one.

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Achromic - we were up on Vancouver Island last summer and I saw the coolest cane, ever. The woman who had it showed it to us as I was curious about it. It was 'wallpapered' It was very decorative...almost like someone had decoupaged different colors and flowers on to it. I really thought it was cool. I think she did the decorating of it herself, but I cannot recall.

I understand about having to use a cane being something that is very sad and difficult. Try decorating it, though and it may help.

God Love ya - Lee Anne

8:51 PM  
Blogger Christina Dunigan said...

(((achromic)))

My old boyfriend's brother wound up needing a cane in his early 20s, but then he was dying. God willing, you'll be with us quite a while yet!

I just wish I could do something to ease the pain.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home