Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Plan B

Well I am told that Plan B is soon to be over the counter for people over the age of 18 in CA. For those of you that don't know what I am talking about Plan B is basically this drug you take 24-48 hrs after having sex where a "whoopsie" happened and you want to make sure you didn't get preg. My limited understanding is that it keeps a feritlized egg from implanting on the uterus lining. BUT if you want the details well go do your own google search. Now....... most of you might think that I would be jumping up and down for joy over this. After all I AM very prochoice. But instead I am worried. We are not talking about bendryal people......... this stuff has more complications then weed or alchol. AND the fact is ............ the fact is I see to much of a high risk for abuse. I think that Plan B should be avilable..... don't get me wrong about that. Just not at the local Walgreens next to the snuffle meds and the preg. test. Why? Because I can see parents who give their kids plan B without the kid ever knowing...... I can see boyfriends and husbands doing it too. I can see this drug being taken in huge amounts by kids that think if one is good 5 will do better. And I am worried about that. I don't think having it over 18 is any help...... jeesh we can't get the counter people to care about carding for alchol and smokes. AND when you are younger then what you are carding for I can see why that would make you uncomfortable....... expecially for a job that is at such a high risk of robbery and pays so low. I wouldn't care...... if I was stuck like that year after year after year. And I can't help but think this is the wrong way for us to go. While I belive the option to end a preg. should always be avilable I also believe that we have to stop thinking that becoming preg. is such a horrible awful thing. That this teaching our kids that it is something to fear, something to dread inside, something that will keep you from ever reaching your dreams or doing the things you want to do........ is just wrong. So in this way I belive it is not the best choice for us to remove the doctor from the equation.

There IS one other reason I think this is a bad move. I think that it puts everyone that is in that store at risk from religous fanticals. That we are endangering people for some "win" . Why we can't just keep this in the pharmcy where there is usually securty anyways I don't know. I don't understand. I see how it might help a few girls who are to scared and to shy to get their butt to a doctor....... but at what price? I just don't know.

9 Comments:

Blogger Gawdessness said...

We have it here.
We call it the morning after pill.
Abusing it would not be something that the majority of people would choose to do.
The side effects often include staggering amounts of nausea for 24 hours.

So, in my opinion, you would have to be seriously messed up already to want to use this as a form of birth control.

Worked at planned parenthood for a year as a volunteer counsellor and was staggered by how often regular contraception fails, even when used properly.

My son was a surprise, and I was using two methods of birth control, properly.

Interesting post! Thanks!

7:45 AM  
Blogger achromic said...

That is intersting Gawdessness, I know you have a daughter that is not quite a teen yet. How do you feel about her abilty to purchase such an item and take it without you knowing (assuming she could get a friend over the age limit to purchase such a thing)? Do you feel that you would rather a doctor at least talked to her? or are you ok with the fact that she can make this descion with no adult interferance what so ever? I donno.... I am of two minds about it. One is that for some people this will help them without costing them more money.... on the other hand I am just not sure that our teens are well enough educated to make these descions. I know I wasn't old enough... even tho I certianly thought I was.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Val said...

Here's another vote for the relative safety (but ambiguity) of Plan B: didn't work 4 me!
After a "dark night o' the soul" (no BC w/my then-fiance, spent the next night debating the consequences), we decided it would be best to take Plan B but I wound up PG regardless...
So I also ditto Gawdessness' observation of the frequent failure of properly-administered & used BC, I could tell ya a few more stories just from my own personal experience!

3:30 PM  
Blogger L. said...

Hi, Achro! I`m catching p after 3 weeks away.

I had my doctor write me a prescription for Plan B, in case our two forms of barrier contraception were to fail -- since one scary time I put my finger right through my diaphragm and made a hole in it (and wasn`t sure if I had done this putting it in or taking it out), and we all know how unreliable condoms are.

I even filled the prescription, so I have the actual drug, just for my piece of mind, so I wouldn`t have to scurry around to get it in an emergency.

Ironically, my efforts show I am not the target market for Plan B -- I don`t have spontaneous unprotected sex, ever.

Anyway, getting back to your question, I am not sure teens are well-educated enough to always use Plan B properly, but I don`t think that in itself is a reason for tightening its accessibility. I mean, there are many people who accidentally overdose on acetaminophen and poison their livers, and yet no one is talking about restricting Tylenol.

Birth control pills are already restricted -- availble only from a doctor -- and I still knew girls in high school who would take a whole pack of them at once after an unprotected encounter (in fact, I did this once myself, when I was worried).

11:29 AM  
Blogger achromic said...

That Plan B holds the same risk and will be abused about the same as Tylonal IS excatly the same argument that my own spoused used. My response is we are a very confused nation when it comes to drug use. We ban pot because of it's "dangers" and yet leave alchol in stores. I don't know that the side effects are any more risky then taking the whole pack of BC (of which I too knew kids that did that). How ever IF Gawdessness is right and it makes then nausea for the next 24hrs then I would doubt many would choose to abuse it more then once. As long as they can survive once. BUT I think this does hook into why and how do we choose restricted access to medicene? Do we want less restrictions or more? I go both ways on this........ Most people when they say Legalized Drugs they just mean pot or their favorite drug of choice. But the reality would mean less FDA control over the quailty of many diffrent types of drugs and the risk of taking those drugs would increase. Not to mention that pharmacutal co. and such would have to restructer how they make their money. It is an intersting topic and I belive is one of those topics that actually affect the social structure at least in the USA. Medcial care and how accessable the newest drugs are for you is one of the ways we differnate from the poor and rich.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

I found your blog through "Real Choice", I have to admit we disagree on the over all issue of abortion and artificial birth control. (I'm pro-life) But I completely agree with your concerns if it is available over the counter.

If it is available over the counter, then what stops men from buying Plan B?

I agree with the other commenters, in which it makes sense to obtain the prescription along with your primary source of birth control with the proper knowledge and have it on hand prior to a possible situation.

6:20 AM  
Blogger achromic said...

I hope you are right.... both about it being the first time I have been linked to a prolife blog(HI GUYS)and about the threat to retail stores. But you know I never thought Mathew Shepard would have happened, or James Bird.... but they did. I never thought alot of volient relgious crimes would happen over fear and hatred but it does. Does it still happen without religious tones to their mix up mind? I don't know. I think most of us are not sure if religion is the cause or the systom of a certian type of mental illness.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! http://www.enzo-ferrari-speed-top.info/Vistacruiseuniversalvistacruise.html nu calgon ice machine cleaner

9:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You may also visit at buy plan b and birth control pills to know more about birth control pills, patches, methods and options available.

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home