Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I may like you but not your religion

Lately I have come to realize that I just cannot come to terms with the Christian religion. I tried to over come my prejudices and I even took up reading some parts of the bible with Naamen. But the more I read and the more I thought about the more it seemed to me like a horrible abusive relationship. I don't understand what people get out of it...... and at this point I am done trying to see their side of things. Some things are so morally repungent to me it takes all my strength not burn every single bible I come across. In my eyes this book and the interpations of it are so misguilded, evil, and wrong that I find myself seriously wondering if the people who belive in it are mentally insane. I know I know that some of you will find what I am saying to be horrible. Even my friends who are not christian are probably wondering what happen. The thing is nothing happened except that one person that I thought goodly of started talking about the bibles and gays....... this person did so months ago and I have been trying to come to terms with it now for some time. But I find myself as if one of us suddenly stumbled on a tribe of canniblist...... appalled, horrifed. No matter how many times I tell myself that they are of a diffrent culture and that everyone has a right to their culture I cannot get over the fact that the christian communty wants not only to control their house but mine and everyone else too. I find that no matter how much I try to understand them that I still can work up no sympathy with their causes or their desires. I have found some good people inside, stuck to a religion, and many times it smacks of brainwashing instead of faith. I know I maybe SHOULD keep trying to be open minded.........I will try to be kind........ and that will just have to do.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Achromic,

Have you heard of Immaculee Ilibagiza? She is a survivor of the 1994 Rwandan genocide. Her story is amazing and absolutely beautiful. If all Christians had love like she does, the world would have been converted by now.

I recommend you listen to an interview of her that can be downloaded for free from the following url:

http://www.catholic.com/audio/2006/mp3/ca060630a.mp3

I know you hate the Catholic church, but that is not what her story is about. It is about love and forgiveness after going through one of the worst possible tragedies.

I hope her story will bless and inspire you. I will continue to pray for the relief of your chronic pain and illness.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Please don't think we're all like that.

They're just the morons who make the most noise.

Hugs

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there are some really good Christians, and the ones who aren't are usually the ones running their mouths the most.

8:03 PM  
Blogger achromic said...

Cindy there are lots of wonderful Xtian stories I don't have to go looking for them. There are also plenty of ones where Xtians murdered and tortured people who didn't belive like they did. There might even be more of them but who is counting?

Granny I don't think you are all like that. I love some christians lots. But I can't help but feel very confused about why such good people would put up with a religion that is filled with brutalty and volince and thinks it is a good thing. I can't help but make comparsons between people who choose that religion and a battered wife or child that is defending their abuser. I feel helpless to talk you out of, what seems from the outside, a totally horrible relationship.

Bags there are some excellent Christians. There are excellent people in all religions. The thing is that the christians have a prothlyzing statement inhernet in their religion and they think it is G*d's manfiest disteny to save the world. Unfortuantly I think what they want to save us from is being free, kind, and good to one another and I got a problem when they are sending our kids to go die in their relgious war. I want them home... I want them all home right now and then MAYBE in my heart I can begin to work on my prejudices again. But right now I am mad as hell.

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A. - whew!!! I read your piece with an open Christian mind...well, as open as one can be when they are blinded by the love of Christ. (tongue in cheek!)

The trouble with Christianity is that it is full of people just like me. I am not perfect - far from it - but I do try to live my life in accordance with God's will for me.

That is not always easy.

The bible is a confusing book - plain and simple. The old testatment is a difficult read - a difficult study and man oh man, if that is all that was in the bible, I would not be a Christian for Christianity shows up in the new testament and the old testament is but a foreshadowing of the new.

The new testament is a different story...yes there is bloodshed in the new testatment - the passion of the Christ is the bloodiest part of the new testament, but that is where the Christian hope comes from.

There is no way that one can force you to believe in Christ - no way that one can make you want to be a Christian, Achromic.

There is much good in the Judeo-Christian culture, A. Some of it is actually in the people...and some of it is not.

I continue to pray for you, Achromic, not that you become a Christian, but that you find peace in your life. God loves you beyond any human comprehension and THAT is the wonderfulness of life!

Many Blessings and love to you --- your Jesus lovin' buddy -

11:49 AM  
Blogger cebii said...

Reminds me of a discussion that bordered on argument I had with a coworker awhile back. She is a newly born again Christian and, justified by 'hate the sin not the sinner' usually gets along fine with me, the lesbian.

I knocked down all of her points, and was prepared to bring a couple of books I had that sort of supported by positions from a more academic point of view, but I decided not to give them to her at the last minute. She is basically a good person, somewhat holier than thou, but her faith got her off drugs and keeps her clean. My whole point in our discussion was to say that everyone has to find their own path, so who am I to try and knock her's over?

If we ever get into it again, which I doubt, because I think she sees now that I really can find holes in her belief system and she doesn't want to face them - I'll give her my reference books.

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cebii - what reference books do you have? I am curious in learning more about academic point of view regarding non Christian teachings. That is, if I read your posting correctly.

I am glad that you did not get into an argument with the newly born again Christian...we can be obnoxious at times - but, I will tell you a secret - time tempers us...or perhaps it is the Holy Spirit that does. Glad that she recognized not to hate the sinner...after all, all of us are sinners.

Thanks for any book titles - blessings to you

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home