Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Paying for it

A friend and mine have been talking most of last week of things to do with the spirit and the mind and everything inbetween. Now, she doesn't like to talk to much upon the subject or rather she doesn't like the way I tend to gather information which can be somewhat argumentative and aggressive. (prove me wrong first then I'll think about you being right) But a lot of my thinking about what is said happens off-line and in my head. Obessivly thinking about it.... as she pointed out (why are you obessing about this? she asks). One of her suggestions was to go to a Landmark Forum class and while I mention that, this post certainly does not have to do only with that particular brand of paying for it but includes many different types/brands.

My mother first pointed out to me that I was more likely to believe in Aliens then Angels yet there was no proof of either exsitance. Her point was that I was only open minded in my own way which was not very open minded (your mother knows these things about you). My mother also pointed out that everyone has to eat no matter what they are called in life to do. So if you are a teacher and that is what you've been called to do then you still have to get food and it might as well being doing what you think you've been called to do. (mom is smart) Yet something inside of me cringe when I see people of psychology or religion wanting money. It seems wrong. It screams wrong.

Now it is true that it seems wrong on that very deep level that is beyond know why (like that stranger in the store that gives you the creeps). But I've tried to put it into words:
1) If it is the spirit and a spiritual matter then you are doing G*ds work and that should be done even if there is no money. If that means that priest and priestess have to work at a regular job then that is G*ds will. Donations should not be a forced thing, they are a gift and should never be asked for and presued as something that you have earned.
2) If you have a gift of getting people either in touch with themselves or with the universe or with G*d then please get yourself into Congress immediately. The world is going to hell, fix that first then come and talk to me.
3) The more that people really need intevention and help the less likely they are to be able to afford to get the help. The less likely the are to be able to get to any classes.
4) I 'd rather spend my money getting people food
5) Just in case you think that I only put this on religion and psychology I also don't like most learning/teaching systems in the USA and would not/ do not pay for them either. I consider myself self taught not uneducated.


On the other hand:
1) Everyone needs help and it should matter how you get that help once you recognize the need for it
2) Information is it's own crop, people grow it and then they get paid to disperse it
3) Just because I've had bad past experiences, does not mean that future experiences would be bad
4) Growth of the mind and spirit could be arguable just as important as food
5) Lots of holes in my self education perhaps there is something to be said for the more formal method

Anyways I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts on the matter.
Peace.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It's not psychology. It's not religion. It's not spirituality. You'd pay for classes at a University. Well, perhaps YOU wouldn't, but other people would. :P

6:45 PM  
Blogger She Dances in Dragon said...

My thoughts on the matter... Hm, maybe I should post this on my own blog, it's going to be long. Heh, because subjects like this always are right? I've always thought there was something wrong in taking money from someone in need, but I'm only just beginning to understand why. It's all about equal exchange of energy. Money is a form of energy.
Think about it. You put energy into a job, and you get money as a result. You then use that money to buy things that were made with someone elses' energy; be it food, fuel or frivolity. So taking money for doing something that appears to be nothing (i.e. a psychic reading, or a three day seminar) should be a breeze, but it's not. I think the problem is that different people have different values for a dollar bill. (cont.)

7:38 AM  
Blogger She Dances in Dragon said...

I look at a dollar and see a loaf of bread, a bag of rice, or 8 packs of ramen noodles. Others might see a day's pay, and still others would only see "not enough". We have such an attachment to money, that it makes it hard to exchange for energy of equal value. I mean, how do you reconcile "that costs too much' with "you get what you pay for"? I did the Landmark Forum, and it was worth every penny. At the time, I thought the price was too high. I mostly did it to shut up our mutual friend. (Who I love dearly) But because I have an attachment to money, I made myself get full value and then some. It was hard. It was ugly. It was confronting and uncomfortable. And the money I spent, along with the effort of digging through my own crap bought me freedom. oops, I didn't mean for this to be a Landmark sales pitch. Sorry about that. (cont.)

7:49 AM  
Blogger She Dances in Dragon said...

Back on subject, I hope. You said, "Yet something inside of me cringe when I see people of psychology or religion wanting money... It screams wrong." It does indeed. Because you can't buy spiritual or psychological enlightenment. You have to work for it. Yet, when enlightenment is offered for free, most people won't take it. They could go to their local library and find any number of enlightening books, for free and they don't.
People who want money to pray with you, or to listen to you talk for 55 minutes raise my hackles. I think they're in the business of desperation. They prey on the desperate and lost. They make you feel good for a short time, but they don't teach you how to make yourself feel good. So you have to keep coming back to them. You have to get your fix of happiness. (grrr)
There are a few places that do teach that happiness can never come from an outside source; that you must find the root of your unhappiness and remove it. And that when unhappiness is removed, you're left with nothing. And that gives you the choice to create happiness.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home